October 30, 2008

"Or is it Kinder?"

Over the 23, er 24, years of my life, I have found that one theme remains the same: my name is a very hard concept for old people and well people in general to understand. In fact it's hard for Microsoft Word to understand. But, I forgive you Bill Gates. Or maybe I'll sue you, then forgive you. You'll learn that Kendo is not the correct spelling the hard way.

Most conversation with people over 45 or with the hearing impaired:
"I'm Kendi."
"Oh, Cindy? Hi, Cindy."
"Oh, no it's Kendi, like Cindy with a K." (cue smile that I've practiced with that line for the last 20 years.)
"Oh, Kendi. Cindy, is it?"
"Yes, Cindy with a K."
"Kendi, well nice to meet you. Or is it Kinder?"

At this point I pull out my knife and carve my name in extra-large print edition letters on the nearest wooden tablet. Although I do this in vain, since they won't remember me or my convaluded name tomorrow.

At least I have a nice large tablet name tag to use at gun shows, rv parks and old people conventions. Or for when Bryan and I got toasty and want to re-enact the Moses and the Ten Commandments.

1 comment:

Aurelie said...

Try to pronounce Aurelie, you'll see. I share your pain. Although Aurelie is a normal name in France (I'm French btw), it simply doesn't exist in UK (and I live in London btw again). Should I give up ? "hi my name is owaly" , how about that ?

Web Statistics