September 13, 2009

tall people discrimination. it's real and it's ugly.

I walked into a store the other day that I had never been in to before. Now I usually don't venture into new stores, especially alone, I've ended up lost in men's sections and baby stores before. But on that day I was feeling snarky. So I wander in like any other normal looking customer and started looking around. Soon enough I found myself in the pants section looking through the sizes. Out of nowhere, I hear someone yell out:

"Ma'am? That's the petite's section!"

I laugh to myself and turn around to look at the 6'2" moron in the petite's section so I can whisper " freak" to her and splash my coke in her face. As I turned to face this clown, I see all of these little women (no, not Jo, Amy, Beth or Meg -- just short women) staring up at me. I hear somone whisper "freak". Someone hurls a coke at me. As the sales woman approaches me, she looks up from her 5'3 stature that is complemented by 4 inch heels and says "Ma'am, this is the petite's section. Can I get you a tall or an average?"

Now, hold up, I say in a deep booming voice. "Maybe I like high waters, maybe I am petite and I'm wearing really tall shoes. Maybe I'm shopping for a friend. Maybe I'm blind and your clothing labels don't have braile. Maybe I'm going to sue you. Every think of that shorty?" Then I grabbed one of those little women (Meg) and held her at finger-gun point and backed out of the store with all of the size 8 petites that I could grab.

Actually, I stammered out something like "No, I...I'm fine..I'll be fine." then I beelined for the door.

I am done with adventure shopping. For now on, I'm sticking to what I know. And places that don't discriminate against people over 5'8".

2 comments:

Jess said...

Fab! I can totes relate! x

Jess said...

Fab, I can totes relate! x

Web Statistics