March 5, 2010

Create, Don't Duplicate

**This is not a funny post. I repeat, this is not a funny post. In fact more than likely it will be awkward for you. But awkward is my speciality.

I don't really know how to go about this because it is not an easy thing to say, so I'm just going to say it. I found the blog of an old friend who I am not acquainted with any longer. This was all good and fine until I started noticing that her words sounded suspiciously like mine. So I started reading through post after post and I was mortified by the blatant copying that this person had done. These were my thoughts that I was reading, my words. I told Bryan about it and he suggested that I do very hateful things to this person. But instead I turned the other cheek and tried to forget about it. Also, we don't own any artillery and this person lives too far away.

So I tried to let this go, passing it off as something small. But it just kept haunting me. Look I know that the Internet is a melting pot of thoughts, ideas and words for anyone to take. There are no internet police hanging around waiting for someone to plagerize. I realize that once I put something out there, into the dark abyss of the unknown, it can be offensive, misunderstood, misconstrued or worse -- stolen. But I take that chance because I like to write and because I like to blog. I do not put it out there for someone to take on as their own. I do not write so that someone else can be esteemed, so that someone else can feel funny or witty. I write because that is what I love to do. I share it because I hope that someone out there likes to read it as much as I like to write. And although internet police do not exist, I would hope that integrity and honesty still do.

As an aspiring writer who hopes to one day find an audience who enjoys reading her works, this is a complete punch in the face. There are reasons for copyrights and patents and trademarks. There are reasons for protecting intellectual property. There is a reason that teachers and professors try teach you to think on your own and not to plagiarize. This is why. It's because of people who can't, steal. I appreciate that you find my words appealing to you, but please find your own voice. Everyone has a unique point of view, everyone has something that they need to say -- so say it. Be your own person.

All of this to say that I do not think that I am the best thing since sliced bread and that this is probably an isolated case. But I just wanted to say to the person who has hurt me by stealing something so very precious to me to please stop. I encourage you to find your own thoughts and words. If you can't think of your own words to write, please don't steal mine. In the end I'm a writer, not a fighter. But plagerism is the death of creativity and is not appreciated.

Always create, never duplicate.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kendi,
I'm sorry this happened to you, one time in high school a kid stole my mum design (in floral design class) and passed it off as her idea. I was mortified. I know how you feel. You're words are great and I enjoy reading your blog. I will say you inspired me to start my own blog (and keep up with it. hehe).

Pamela said...

If there is one thing I cannot stand is when someone tries to pass of your idea as their own. Do I sound bitter? Yes, I am. I created a document for myself at work to use and it soon caught on by collegues and eventually became a document used by our entire Department statewide. A couple years later, a collegue accepted the thank you for coming up with it! I must have had steam coming out of my ears. While I often think, "now, why didn't I think of that?", I would never copy and pass off as my own. Very upsetting indeed!!!! Great post and it needs to be said.

Danielle Bridges said...

kendi, you really need to name drop. we're all curious.

Olivia Nold Korpi said...

Have you ever seen the movie "Single White Female"? If not rent it. The very thing that takes place in that movie(weird roommate that copies everything you do) happened to me, okay, minus the violent creepy stuff. But it was terrible! I kept trying to see all of the copying as flattery, but in my heart I knew she was trying to stealing my identity. Eventually, our relationship became hurtful and I had to friend-break-up. It was very painful and strange. I had never done it before and have never since...but let me tell you I have never felt so proud of myself for standing up for my identity and my morals. You go sister! Bring on the authenticity! One of my favorite quotes: “Be yourself, everyone else it taken!”

Sig said...

Heya Kendi - just realised you had a personal blog (like duh lol - am a huge fan of your fashion one by the way - now I REALLY sound like the SWF Olivia is talking about - ok rambling now - must shut up).

You should definitieyl get this for both your blogs:

Copyscape badge (www.copyscape.com)

This site might help to make your work recognizable:

http://creativecommons.org/choose/

From the site: With a Creative Commons license, you keep your copyright but allow people to copy and distribute your work provided they give you credit — and only on the conditions you specify here.

Some food for thought maybe :)

s said...

Kendi that is so wrong!!! I can't believe someone would actually do that...but then yeah- there are some pretty unimaginative, lame people out there! :(

I hope that she takes down her blog and stops...and sends your an apology! I wonder is she would actually have the nerve to copy THIS post!! Yikes!

I just want to say- I love both of your blogs- you crack me up and I love your fashion - I live in a little college town in the south that thinks you should only wear 2 colors, nothing wild (and by wild I mean skinny jeans - gasp!!) although uggs & miniskirts are "fancy"....or everyone is having a baby....not really doing any of that!

I laugh, get a great idea for an outfit (although maybe I should just try to wear exactly as you do!?, ha!) and enjoy your blog immensely!

I hope she stops....or we could all go over and throw some virtual eggs at her blog!! :)

Feel better!

H to the izzo said...

How strange! I mean, it's one thing to steal layout and images, but why would you copy what another person is writing about their own life?! Weird.

You should do a public shaming of her and her site. The Internet readers have to be their own police, their own pillars of integrity.

Call her out on it, directly. Find other sites that point out fraud. Good for you for taking the high road, but you don't have to ignore it.

Taylor said...

What an awful situation. As a writer, it is something I am always afraid of. So, has she been in touch with you since you posted this? And, I am curious, was she taking whole chunks of your work - like, entire blog posts?

TheBrittanyTree said...

I just wanted to drop a comment to say that you do an amazing job writing. As a reader of your blog, I can say that I enjoy it as much as you enjoy writing it. Keep up the great work! And tell the posers to bugger off!

hair-mess said...

Just wanted to let you know, that from what I can see, the day, when people (us) will like to read, what you love to write is already here! And ITA with Pamela, I often think, 'gosh, I just wish I could write like that' - but I´d not dream of taking somebody elses wit and pass it off as mine.

molly mullery said...

i like this post. i like it a lot.

i feel i have to come clean about something in light of it, however.

i've been keeping a blog about the odd parts of my life for a good bit now. i'm about to get married. i'll probably write about my marriage. and my husband. and stuff.
but our writing styles are so different, i do hope you won't stumble across my little blog and set it aflame. yes?

Crystal said...

Well-said. Screw the copycat.

shirley said...

This is so sad to hear.

Web Statistics