August 28, 2010

What's in a name?

"Your name was really cool in college. It really fit you then."

My husband dropped this bomb on me the other day. Keywords here was and then. So I guess I'm up for a name change. Here are my options:

Karen (i've never met a Karen I didn't like)
Gene/Jean (mostly because it rhymes with my last name and I like the unisex spelling feature)
Precious (albeit there is a movie out there with the same name, but I think that trend will pass)

I could also just add a few letters to my current name like Jakendi or Okendi or Kakendi. Either way, it doesn't matter. I just want to be as cool as I was in college. Now taking suggestions.


20 comments:

Brittany said...

kakendi. it's really fun to say and it sounds like something my little sister would randomly come up with while playing barbies.

Jameil said...

Jason.

Healthy and Homemade said...

I vote for Kakendi, too fun to say.

Stephanie said...

Hey Kendi, Precious is a really common name in South Africa amongst the African South African's

dot said...

Just don't go with MaKendi. Then you'll have telephone service people thinking you're Mackenzie, and we wouldn't want that.

Janni said...

Jennifer. hahaha, jk! Every other girl in US is named Jennifer.

I LOVE Kendi. I think it's a super cool and different name. You are first Kendi I've ever heard of. And it goes with everything as you love to point out in your blogs, lol!

Kendi Lea said...

You guys, you're right. I'm stinking with Kendi, ALTHOUGH I do love the name Jason. So maybe I'll just add it to my middle name. Kendi Jason Lea -- there, that sounds right.

Kendi Lea said...

And by "stinking" I mean "sticking."

Linda said...

'stinking' made me laugh out loud for the first time all day : )

drollgirl said...

well i think you already have a fab name! and i don't think it is necessary to try and relive the coolness of the college years! that is just a teeny bit less bad than those that are obsessed with their years in high school!

ainikki said...

I love Kendi. Its unusual and it suits you well. Its funny to think about ourselves with a different name - some names just dont suite some people:-)

Jenn said...

I vote kakendi as well. Sounds so...unique? lol i love this post!

off switch said...

you crack me up!

The Cocoa Goddess said...

Filipinos (my people, so I can say this without being offensive) like to add random "H"es in names (as in Jhon, Jhenni, Jhehovah). How about Kendhi (like Mendhi)?

Love your blog, BTW. Which one? Pick one.

Karen Bell said...

I just found your blog yesterday, but I agree that Kendi is a beautiful & unique name.

You also made my day that you wrote you never met a Karen you didn't like. Not that we've met or anything, but still. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if this will make you feel any better but your name-Kendi is not uncommon among the Meru. It's an ethnic group in Kenya. That's what originally drew me to your other blog. I went to school with two people by that name. I think it's unique and I actually like it. But I'm still curious as to how or why your parents picked it?

Sue

Emerald said...

Perhaps you and B could merge your names together to form a new one. When I got married, it was too inconvenient for people to give my husband and I our own names or identities. So Jared and Emerald Williamson became Gerald. I mean-- I'm from the South, but damn.
So I nominate Krydni or Bendi.

Unknown said...

You're always welcome in the Karen club...although I will say that restaurant hostesses often think I've told them Erin. "Erin, party of two?" You could blend them and make Karendi....

~Karen from Portland

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
amy said...

Hello friend-- I just saw this category on your blog cloud and would you believe that I JUST blogged with the same exact title? I swear (hand to heaven) I didn't copy you. Maybe I copied Shakespeare. Wait... who did I copy again?

****

Sorry about the above comment being written and then deleted by Nathan. He didn't write the comment-- I did. I was obsessively checking his google analytics at the time and blogger thought I was him.

Web Statistics