Someone asked for my email address over the phone today at work. Since my name is hard for 70% of all Americans to understand (85% for Canadians) I spelled it out for her.
"k-e-n-d-i" -- she stopped me and repeated it back to me slowly. I confirmed. Yes, Kendi is my first name.
"dot" -- "dot" she said, "as in a period?" Yes, as in a period.
"s-k-e-e-n" she stopped again. I could hear the confusion in her pause.
"Skeen? Is that your last name?"
To which I answered, "No. 2003 is my last name but that email address was taken so I randomly chose Skeen." Fine, I didn't actually say that but I did answer with a swift "No" which further confused her. Oh and look "confusing a random caller" was on my to-do list. Mission accomplished.
13 comments:
I thought I had an easy first name but I have to spell it often. Now my last name is easy. Before it was impossible.
I have one email address (that I use for things that might result in junk email) and I always get looks with what the numbers are at the end. The numbers are the last 4 digits of my phone number. Confusion Confusion.
I have the same problem. No body ever misspells my name the same way twice.
I love your name Kendi!
Just Better Together
Haha I love this post! Torture on the caller's part. They are like that though, you have to spell out everything or you'll end up being married to another person.
Story of my life!!! My full name is Jannira. It's Spanish and the pronunciation is not what it looks like. People ask me if I"m spelling it wrong... really??? Yeah I don't know how to spell my name after 30 years.
Two things:
1. I knew someone with the last name "Skeen" in high school. And his first name was Geremy. With a G. So you're not that weird.
2. I made the worst decision ever in choosing my email address, since I go by "Dot." When I tell them it's "dorothy-dot-dannenberg" they think I'm just being redundant.
I think I'm going to get a new email: dontmakemespellit@gmail.com.
i know this problem well..my name is chrystie. Yes, that is chrystie with a 'c' and yes there is a 'y' in the middle!! no one ever spells my name correctly, and to make it even worse i get called christine all the time! i tell ya ladies..never name your kid a name that is usually a nickname...words of wisdom :)
this sort of thing happens to me ALL the time. i am constantly pronouncing, re-pronouncing, spelling, re-spelling my name. and then i get a "oh that's interesting". hah. you have a kindred spirit.
pilar
1. how have I never read this blog of your's before!? This is hilarious! you now have 2 blogs on my "Faves" list.
2. I love the name Kendi. So unique
3. People need to appreciate unique names more. my name is Bevin, and I hated it until I realized that I'm not just another Ashley or Jessica...no offense to the Ashleys and Jessicas...but c'mon.
~Bevin
ditto! mine is dahye - now, few problems with that. I'm in IT sales so:
1) they think dahye is a man
2) they think dahye does not speak english (raised in SF since I was 6)
3) even my coworkers spell it wrong
i love my name <3 embrace your confusing name
My first name is Melania - no one ever says or spells my name right. In college I had a professor who attempted to say my name on a daily basis. Although he never got it right I began to call him Bob. If he couldn't say my name correctly I wouldn't either. Sure showed him.
I'm courious about where your name came from. I have a 3 year old daughter we named Kendi because we live in Africa and it is an African name meaning "The Loved One". We've only ever met 1 other person with the name Kendi.
And I spelled "curious" wrong. GAH!
Post a Comment