March 29, 2010

vegbian

I really shouldn't share this on here because as soon as I do, I'm going to get judgemental calls from my family. So family, do me a favor and quit reading. Just go back to pretending that I'm normal and that I didn't play with barbie dolls till I was 14. (Or 15. Age is just a number.)
 
So for months now, I've been thinking about switching teams -- going vegetarian. Actually I thought about this change over a few years, I even experimented with it in college. I sent off for a "So You Want To Be A Vegetarian" packet from PETA but never received it. This really angered me so to spite them, I ate a double hamburger with a chicken patty on the side every day until now.
 
But, everytime I eat meat now I really regret doing so and I'm not sure why. My husband has tried to talk me out of this multiple times but only because he thinks Chick-Fil-A date night is being threatened. But despite all of the haters out there, I really am going to give this thing a try. You must understand I come from a long line of meat eaters. In fact, my jewish name means "clean meat." So this is going to be a hard transition for me. Even yesterday 2 out of 3 of my meals were vegetarian -- until I ate a corn dog. Never underestimate the sexiness of a corn dog. It's temptation brought me down and what was supposed to be day 1 of vegetarian eating turned out to be just another trip to Sonic.
 
There are 2 problems that I currently must conquer before becoming a V.
1. Learn how to deal with a meat-eating husband.
2. Learn how to give up corn dogs and Chick-Fil-A.
 
I'll let you know how it goes. Here's to Day 1. Again.

12 comments:

Kelsey Johnston Nuckolls said...

I tried it for 30 days just a few months ago, it's not really as hard as you might think! Especially with a meat-eating husband. There's some amazing meat substitution products (Morningstar) that almost had my own husband convinced he could be a vegetarian as well! good luck!

diptea said...

I had the same issue with Red Robin chicken burgers. But around 6 months back I just quit. Threw my chicken gauntlet down. Couldn't bear the smell or taste of any meat. Have been a proud veggie since. Fried chicken smells don't turn me on anymore. And as Kelsey said there are lots of veggie options. And well there is my blog too you know, for veggie recipes. All the bestestestest!

stealthnerd said...

There are a lot of days that I think I could go veg. I don't really like meat all that much, I hate chicken, pork is only okay, same goes for beef. And yet, despite my general lack of interest in eating meat, there are still those times when I just NEED to have a cheeseburger. Or bacon. Or salami.

Hm, on second thought, I might not be good at vegetarianism. Good luck!!

heather said...

actually, the morning star corndogs are pretty good! so are the buffalo "wings." the meatless crumbles are pretty good too and can be used just like ground beef, even to make trashy sloppy joes with a can of manwich. and our favorite fake meat product of all time is the quorn gruyere cutlets - totally good.

my husband was vegetarian before i was, and then we both were, and then he got diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 25 and started eating meat/fish again in order to have more protein and less carbs in his diet. i never wanted to make him eat veg, but i also didn't want to prepare two separate meals for dinner. i'd often make something high protein and vegetarian and bake or grill a piece of fish or a chicken breast for him that went with the meal.

it's a weird process, giving up meat. have you read 'eating animals' by jonathan safran foer? i haven't yet, but have heard good things.

Pamela said...

You can do it. I went 99% Vegan in November 2008. My BF is a complete meat eater and doesn't eat any vegetables other than potatos and frozen corn. We have made it work. It takes a bit of give and take (probably more on my end, but oh well!) but we find new places that offer both meat and non-meat options. Meals at home are made by both of us (which is more fun). I made the switch mostly to become healthier, I wish I could say it was to save the animals. On occassion, I still may have a piece of chicken or fish. I started by checking out various cookbooks at the library and then purchased ones I liked. You'll be happy you made the change :) good luck.

stephanieesstar said...

Morningstar and Quorn make some of the best meat substitutions! Their hot dogs and corndogs are delicious! And Quorn Chik'n cutlets and breaded patties--soooo delicious! My family, who loves some meat, eat them and have no complaints!

Good luck!! There are lots of options for veggie eating, and I for one, am a big advocate! Yay for you!

coolhntr said...

Fake meat is good! Trust me.

Healthy and Homemade said...

As a former vegetarian/vegan I must say, eating less meat makes it such a treat when you do! I love eating hearty veggie and grain filled meals and when I get down on an amazing lean steak that I cooked myself it is so satisfying and delicious. I got to the point where I wanted to puke after eating chicken nuggets and corn dogs (because trust me, my hubby would live off that shit if he could). I say give it a shot, but be smart about it! There are vegetarian hot dogs that taste amazing, and it's okay to let yourself have a little meat now and then just don't indulge on it. Good luck! =D

Tillie said...

Hey! Im glad i just found your blog! this is so awesome, I wish you a bunch of luck! Depending on where you live, there are awesome meat substitutes available from certain supermarkets and if you are near a wholefoods, your life should be set!

Good luck!!

shewaitsforwhispers.blogspot.com

Lexie said...

ugh ! i live so far away from chik fila ... maybe we should trade lives. that would solve yer problem.

Dee said...

Firstly, I'm a KendieEverday reader (which I love), but just recently discovered your other blog. I, on a whim and random health kick, decided to go vegetarian last October. This was shocking news to all of my friends because I am really the queen of meat. Like, when I would go to my best friend's house, her husband would automatically take out the salami & cheese and place it in front of me. Or I would brave a winter storm to make sure my friends and I had bacon for breakfast when we'd visit our cabin in Big Bear.

Still, the whole vegetarian thing has been surprisingly easy. However, it probably helps that I live in L.A. where being vegetarian/vegan is the "cool" thing to do so there are tons of restaurants that make super great food (cheaply, since I'm poor).

Ultimately, the only reason I think I've been able to do it is because I put my mind to it. I still love meat, but I stopped eating because I wanted to try it and I feel healthier for it. If you really want to do it, I'm sure you can make it happen too.

liz said...

Hi, just visiting from your other blog. Let me tell you that after reading Skinny Bitch (look up on amazon) I quickly gave up meat for 6 months. During the summer months it's easy to eat healthy and get protein from leafy green salads and beans. When the holidays rolled around and winter came, I started to eat just a little bit.
However, last year I moved away with my boyfriend and we have to cook a lot so I rely on chicken and since I get sick of it at home, when I go out I eat beef!
But I'd like to go back, and as soon as I read Skinny Bitch again I can forget about meat in an instant...
Sorry for rambling, just a bit about my experience :)
If you decide to do it, I wish you luck and forget about what other people say, it's your body!

Web Statistics