June 22, 2011

In The Cut

Typically, B and I cook together. I base this on the theory that he cooks better than I do, I have zero patience for cooking times, I can't open a bottle of wine on my own, and the fact that he doesn't trust me near knives, hot surfaces, or microwaves. In the kitchen, I am like a toddler with a lit candle in a room full of explosives, and B is my anxiety-ridden mom. But today, B fell victim to a case of allergies and a possible cold, so I was in the kitchen alone. Alone with all of the pointy sharp knives, the stove top and the oven, the sealed bottles of wine and of course, the scary microwave.

I was cutting the cheese (tee-hee. still funny.) the knife slipped (and by knife I mean potato peeler) and nicked my fingernail. I, of course, screamed, shut my eyes and imagined the worst case scenario. Bryan thought my hand had been severed (he's so dramatic) but I calmed him saying it was only a nicked nail.

At dinner, I was unloading the dishwasher (which was full of...KNIVES!!! AND TUPPERWARE!! GUNS!!!!) and I hit my shin against the sharp corner of the door. I, of course, screamed. B thought I had cut myself while unloading the knives, looking for my other severed hand. No knives, no severed hands.

Then as I was cutting up asparagus, a rogue stalk fell out of my hand and on to the ground so, naturally, I shouted an expletive that most people reserve for stubbed toes or cut up appendages. Out of habit at this point, B asked if I cut myself, rushing over like a trained EMT. And wouldn't you know? Not only did I not cut myself but I didn't overcook it either.

Looks like I can be trusted with knives and dinner after all.

27 comments:

meghan said...

funny. i also wash my guns in the dishwasher. :)

www.StarHughes.com said...

Hahaha I was laughing out loud reading this post! You are seriously too funny! My mom asked why I was laughing and thought it was so funny too. Thanks for sharing!
Star Hughes Living

Catherine said...

The risks associated with cooking are just too high. I work on the theory of minimal cooking :oP

Firebound said...

my husband is like that too, I have to keep reminding him that he did not meet me in an emergency room so i must have been able to do things without killing myself, before him. LOVE YOUR BLOG

Unknown said...

I am constantly cutting myself while attempting to cook. I HATE cooking and who wouldn't when they are getting cut. My husband is so used to these moments that he pulls out the bandages whenever I am about to pick up a knife. Thank goodness he is usually the one who does the knife weilding;)

Sincerely,

Julie

Alison said...

The same thing happened to me last year! I too was cutting cheese (a dangerous activitiy, evidently) and cut myself. Sadly, when I screamed, shut my eyes, and assumed the worst, I was correct. I grabbed my finger when I cut it, and when I finally let go, the side of my finger flopped off. I had to to to the ER and get it re-attached. Sick.

Dee Ambrose said...

"GUNS!!" hahahaha :') you're hilarious!

Tiffany said...

Bahaha!! You crack me up! We're similar in our house. I usually reserve all cutting for the hubs. And taking things out of the oven. The stovetop I can handle... but that's about it. =)

Ash said...

ha ha ha...I love your writing style! You always make me laugh out loud :)

Bethany Suckrow said...

I'm a good cook but still cannot be left unattended in the kitchen. I was cutting french bread a few weeks ago and sliced my finger pretty badly- those thick crusts are tricky. Thank god my best friend was there or I would have fainted, since I can't stand the sight of blood.

Kendi Lea said...

@Alison, I am not going to lie. I almost passed out after reading your comment. Glad you are okay. You are okay right?!

@StarHughes -- you're pretty.

@Julie -- Exactly. I hate cooking and the threat to my precious hands is too much.

@Dee -- What? you don't keep guns in your dishwasher?

@Bethany -- that's why I stick with bagels for all of my carb needs.

Sara B said...

Bahahahaha a rogue stalk. Amazing. And there's nothing more maddening than banging your shin against the dishwasher. Worthy of several expletives I believe.

Genny said...

I, also, married a man who is the primary cook. It makes life so much easier (and safe for all of us!)!

Ashley said...

I just laughed so hard I snorted. At work. That was embarrassing.

Little Bites said...

This reminded me of myself. I love to cook and am not too bad at it, but I ALWAYS nick a nail slicing cheese with the potato peeler!

MeghanM said...

HAHA. This is so me. When we were still dating my now husband told me we'd never own any sharp knives.

My Heart Blogged said...

My boyfriend is a cook for a living, and I everything I make sort of tastes like crap in comparison to his food. So I just hand him stuff in the kitchen, it's how I "help" with dinner.

Megan said...

Oh my gosh the same darn thing happened to me today! How weird!!! I was peeling a cucumber for a salad for my boyfriend and it slipped and nicked my fingernail! Craziness! My boyfriend later told me I didn't need to sacrifice my fingernail for his salad. Why couldn't he have told me this sooner? lol

Ashley said...

I honestly laughed aloud. As I do everytime you post somethin'...

BlondeAries said...

I just found your blog and have been reading it for the last hour, your writing is hilarious! I have now given up counting the amount of times i have laughed out loud! (sitting in my lounge recovering from tonsillitus i needed a laugh desperately!) Please keep writing, and thank you so much! Jules

. said...

So happy I found this blog! You are HILARIOUS. I was laughing out loud the entire time

Anonymous said...

Such a cute, funny story!

Sarah Jane said...

ahhh i laugh at every post you do, i just found your blog today and you've made my day! you got yourself a new follower! i am loving it! thank you for being you.
-Sarah from livinglifelakeside.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I love this site. The things you post are hilarious! Keep them coming!

Colleen said...

This sure gave me a laugh.

So you can be trusted to cook and be around the knives but you can't be trusted not to scream... one of these days you will cut a finger and he'll be so used to you just screaming without injury that he will ignore you. That just sounds awful.

Audrey @ Putting Me Together said...

Kendi...http://watchseries.eu/

It will blow your mind. Once you search for the title of the show, a little blurb about it will come up. Click the tinnyyy little link of the show's title and every episode of that show will come up.

Audrey @ Putting Me Together said...

Oops, that was left on the wrong post. That was meant for "Standards" but whatevs.

Web Statistics