Even though we aren't in the market to have children yet (yet = 5 or more years here people. back off) I am already worry about what to name our offspring. With pretty much every choice I make in my life I usually end up regretting it many years later. For instance, why was I still wearing overall shorts in 12th grade? Or how come I thought it was a good idea to stop exercising at the age of 14? Why do I cut my hair so short that my face looks like a swollen gourd that could be sold at a State Fair? You get the idea of my poor choices and now you are probably terrified of what I will name my chidlren as well.
So now that I'm getting close to my birthing years (age 30-35) I'm terrified that I will make a mistake when it comes to naming our children. Especially since our last name is so weird, er-- I mean unique. So what do you do when life gives you an awkward last name? You make a list. And apparently lemonade.
What not to name our children:
Charlie Skeen (too close to Charlie Sheen)
Peachy Skeen
Imogene Skeen
Paula Dean Skeen
Moe Skeen
Billy Skeen (wayyyy too close to that MJ song.)
Max Skeen
Lil' Bean Skeen (my personal favorite -- I just know our children will grow up to be rap stars)
Really there are only two names that we know for certain go with our last name:
Kendi
Bryan
I prefer "Kendi Skeen the Second" as Bryan prefers "Bryan Jr." Oh! I just felt a future child-egg commit suicide. One down, hudreds of more to go.
What not to name our children:
Charlie Skeen (too close to Charlie Sheen)
Peachy Skeen
Imogene Skeen
Paula Dean Skeen
Moe Skeen
Billy Skeen (wayyyy too close to that MJ song.)
Max Skeen
Lil' Bean Skeen (my personal favorite -- I just know our children will grow up to be rap stars)
Really there are only two names that we know for certain go with our last name:
Kendi
Bryan
I prefer "Kendi Skeen the Second" as Bryan prefers "Bryan Jr." Oh! I just felt a future child-egg commit suicide. One down, hudreds of more to go.
6 comments:
haha, i laughed at my desk at the lil' bean skeen one! We are in the same boat girlfriend, I told Chadd that we are not naming our first born Barry. Barry Smart.
How about James...James Skeen.
i am alone in my apartment and laughing out loud! it could be the coffee, or it could be that you are, as sally mcgraw says, "high-larious!" i'm so glad to discover you--'specially this blog about married life, even though i'm single and usually bitter at happily married people who blog about their perfect lives. just kidding, i know your life isn't perfect. thanks for writing anyway!
I inherited a unique surname from my husband as well, Nutter. So the following names are off the table: Harrison (or "Harry"), Anita, Lisa, any name with the letter "P", Jawanna, okay, so basically any name is going to raise an eyebrow or an obnoxious chuckle. I'm glad I'm not the only one planning out my future, yet-unborn, children's names! Comfort in numbers I suppose. :)
This is hilarious!
Personally, I think you should jump on the Hollywood bandwagon with noun names (like Apple and Blanket). My vote is for Yarn. Yarn Skeen.
This definitely made me laugh. Our last name is Funk... that's right.... as in F U N K.
Post a Comment