November 11, 2010

things they don't tell you when you get married #35

Do not iron your husband's clothes. You start one day as a favor, to be nice. And to be honest he did the dishes so it was a nice exchange. WRONG. He will use his cute little husband face and take advantage of your housewife skills and your low tolerance for saying no to him and he will ask you to iron his outfit every day.

This is why I don't make dinner every night, he'd get in the habit of liking it. This is precisely why.

19 comments:

Norma said...

haha...my boyfriend is nice enough to iron for me when im running late!! i hope he's not feeling what you're feeling...which means i shouldn't ask!! ;)


norma
norma-inthisworld.blogspot.com

Bohemian Redhead said...

haha, this is precisely why I too do not iron my boyfriend's clothes. I wish he was as nice as your husband and did the dishes! and just so you know, you are definitely not the only bad "housewife" (or should I call myself a "housegirlfriend"?) because my place looks like a tornado went through it... and then threw up. Just saying...

bohemianredhead.blogspot.com

Linz said...

Haha, that's so true. I actually starting iron my husband's clothes while we were dating. But then I realized that I didn't want to replace the laundry service he used and therefore have to iron all his work shirts, yuck! So thankfully I stopped that habit before we were married.

I'm also lucky that he's a better cook than I am so he totally cooks all the time and actually LIKES it.

Jody said...

I have only one question... why is doing the dishes doing YOU a favor. Do you work outside the home? Does he work outside the home? Did he cook dinner? Be careful how you define your work and his work. It really gets much, much worse once/if there are children for you both to care for.

For some reason, my husband thinks it is my job to hire the babysitter. I work, he works. He travels putting more of the childcare load on me during the week. Definitely not my job to get the baby sitter for a night out with his friends. Sheesh!

Lindsay said...

We are pretty evenly split with "chores" in our house simply by natural ability. He picks up dog "presents" in the yard and takes care of the trash, I take care of laundry. Not that either of us is incapable of the other, but I LIKE the laundry they way I do it, so I do it. He wanted the dogs more than I did, so he does that. The rest is pretty shared, though I am the one that usually takes it upon myself to make a grocery list and plan dinners- otherwise he just doesn't notice until it's too late- and we both know I need food to be pleasant :) And ironing? I suck at ironing. and we both know it. So I am wrinkled more than I should be, and I only ask him to iron for me when it's a necessity. Thankfully, he gets frustrated when I try (aka do it wrong), so he takes over. Everyone has to figure out their give and take I guess.

Colleen said...

My mom warned me since I was little not to mow the lawn. She said if I do, then I always have to do it forever.

I should have listened to my mom. I thought "no way I'll just do it this one time." I was wrong.

The husband wears wrinkled pants to work. I don't iron them.

Heather said...

It is SO not energy efficient, but I find the wrinkle release function on my dryer is effective for avoiding the iron altogether. :)

dot said...

I have only been married for eight months, and this is the most important truth I have mastered. Fortunately, my mistake was packing him lunches instead of ironing (which is way worse). I refuse to put away my husband's clothes, though. Do it once, do it FOREVER.

Anonymous said...

lol. I don't mind doing that sort of thing, just because he's so grateful for it, and because I definitely do it better! Fortunately, my husband works in manufacturing, so he (literally) does not own any pants that need to be ironed. I do make meals and put away laundry, however. That being said, he kills bugs, takes out trash, picks up all pet waste and will complete ANY meal on command that involves the grill in anyway. So I'm a pretty happy camper = )

Anonymous said...

After the 1st time, my husband actually asked me to just iron all the rest of shirts. Then pretended like it would be a favor to me since I wouldn't have to be bothered w/it for a while. Sneaky, but this fish did not bite and I never ironed for him again.

Closet Confections said...

lol, I totally agree. We've been married for more than 5 years, and I've NEVER ironed for my husband. He's cool with it though since he's a very picky ironer (is that a word), and I'm more of a search-and-destroy kind of ironer.

Anjela said...

hahahaha great advice! Soo true!!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

you are TOO funny! I just got married in July and I am learning this lesson the hard way. At first we had this nice idea that I'd cook and he'd do the dishes, but that only works when we have guests over. Now I alternate "bag meals" with "real meals"...to throw myself a bone. Sometimes I make him use paper plates. P.S. I LOVE your blogs!!!

Anonymous said...

lol. i love your blog!. i should take your advise on "..because marriage is funny"! ...thinking back, all the annoying things or arguments in a marriage are really indeed funny. thanks for sharing this post!
-N.

Lady Jessop said...

Heed this girl's advice ladies!!! I'm going on year 8 and I now iron my husbands shirts every morning. I'm too far in to go back but the rest of you can save yourselves!

He does give me weekends off though.

diptea said...

Hear hear! I committed a crime by cooking this whole week. I am doomed! :(

portugalnocoração said...

You make me laugh ! Thank you

Web Statistics